August 28, 2006

Warning Label

Two songs I remember when I was a little Kitty said this:

“Brown-skinned girl, stay home and mind baby.
Brown-skinned girl, stay home and mind baby.
I’m going away on a sailing ship
And if I don’t come back,
Stay home and mind baby.”
(Harry Belafonte, 1956)

and

“If you want to be happy for the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife.
So, from my personal point of view,
Pick an ugly girl to marry you.”
(Jimmy Soul, 1963)

Now it's 2006, and I’m a big Kitty. Steve, son of Malcolm, founder of Forbes, published an article this month in the online version of his fine magazine that tells the boys they’ll be happier if their wives don’t work. Why? Because they’ll stick around longer, fool around less and have more kids.

Back in '69, Virginia Slims told the girls

"You've come a long way, baby, to get where you got to today..."
(Philip Morris, 1969)

Cigarette companies are damned liars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home