August 31, 2006

Fuck PC

As victims of pervasive political correctness, nothing except honesty has suffered more than language. In an effort to assure no feeling be hurt, the truly dangerous have gone underground, shrouded in a burka of appropriate verbiage.
This has been the case as long as there's been a sociopath, but the lunatic fringe includes more - those who were often less able to mask their true feelings. They now have the tool to sound less like one, and listening requires less from the ear and more from observation - a panicky glace, a subtle wink, a shifting position, a sudden pause, a hollow laugh.
What did THAT mean?
As painful a regression as it is, I prefer people use language that represents true feelings. I don't want biggots to say 'the N word' or misogynists, 'the C word.' I want them to say "nigger" or "cunt." It gives me a very clear idea about who is speaking, and how he feels.
In New Orleans when David Duke, post Klan and plastic surgery, was running for political office, bumper stickers read "Elect the crook, not the bigot. It's important." Duke, looking positively Ivy Leaguesque, said, "I don't call myself a white supremacist. I'm a civil rights activist concerned about European-American rights." That doesn't sound so bad, does it?
One of my favorite books written in the last decade is a relatively short, immensely readable philosophical treatise by Harry G. Frankfurt called On Bullshit. This thoughtful, retired Princeton philosophy professor defines, gives examples of, and discusses the cultural pervasiveness of bullshit (which, by the way is very different from lying). Fun fact! Many advertisers list the book as "On Bullshoot."
To be clear, I abhor bad manners. I can't stand being around those who belittle, dismiss or otherwise are disrespectful. But to train such a person to speak as though he were not is to provide cover.
And, it makes me nervous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home